A Mother's guide

A Mother's guide for helping physically delayed children play with personal tips and toy reviews.

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Water Therapy Life Jackets for Infants

When Kai was about 18 months old, I made arrangements with the local therapy pool to let me work with Kai once a week in the water. When I first took Kai for water therapy, I was very disappointed with the equipment they had for him. They didn't have any life jackets he could use, because none of them supported his head (Kai requires equipment and devices that support his head, as he can't support it on his own), so we tried to use big mats. The mats also didn't work, because he couldn't move his arms and thighs in the water. I wanted him to be able to move easily through the water, which was the whole point of being there. 


 I have finally found a life jacket that works great for Kai! I don't have a link for the exact vest I found, but I've provided one below that is of the same style; it just has a different design on the front. I posted a video of Kai and Joey working in the pool. The video is a great example of what I love about the vest. The vest gives Kai the freedom to move his arms and legs around in the water, while also giving us the ability to work with him using toys. When I tried using other products I was so afraid of Kai's head dropping in the water that I couldn't let go of him to be able to work with him.  The vest comes with a big collar under the head for head support and an elastic band goes through the crotch. It also has a strap that goes around the abdomen.

No comments:

Post a Comment